Sunday, October 17, 2010

Are these dotting tools?

This seems like a very silly question to ask, but are these dotting tools?

And this is the funny brand label on them that I cannot read:

I don't know if they're dotting tools or not, because I bought them as engraving tools. They are used in paper tole. I do a form of craft called paper tole, I'm not sure if you've heard about it before, but it's more common in Australia or Canada because a lot of resources come from there.

Anyway here are a few pictures of a completed paper tole, if you're interested to know more and how I do it, just leave a comment and I'll put up a detailed post. I was looking at my engraving tools and wondering if they were dotting tools because they do look very similar.

Briefly, paper tole is a form of decoupage that is 3D. I take parts of a picture and carve it out with a special pen knife, then I engrave it so certain parts stand out, then I use a special glue to layer the pieces on top of one another so it looks 3D.

Here's a frontal view of it. I'm not sure you can see that it's 3D. Anyway the flowers in the picture above are the flowers on the upper right of the picture.

I do have a question though, for those who use dotting tools, is it hard to clean the polish out of the area between the ball and the stick part? I'm afraid to use my engraving tools because they're very expensive to replace and I don't want polish to ruin it.

Another (silly) question: why do people on ebay sell dotting tools in sets of 5? I find it odd because it seems like the balls on the end of the stick don't differ very much in size. Are all 5 double-ended sticks needed?

1 comment:

  1. wow i love that 3d paper thing. its so gorgeous i want that one for my wedding =)