Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Whitening Nails

Hi everyone! Today I'm going to post about whitening nails. My significant other can't stand nail polish at all, and so he made me promise to go naked (nails-wise) for a week. Well, they are horribly yellow, nearly orangey so I clearly couldn't just go about without doing something about it.

This is what they looked like all orangey:


First, I buffed them. I know buffing isn't very good for your nails, but occasionally is acceptable to me, and the best way of getting the surface stains is really through buffing. So this is what my nails look like after buffing:


Second, I scrubbed them with teeth whitening gel. I used the brand Plus White, it's American and I got it off www.drugstore.com. I scrubbed my nails very thoroughly with a nail brush, and it definitely whitened them quite a bit.

Third, I put on a blue-based nail polish base coat- Alessandro's Nail Whitening treatment I bought in Hong Kong. It's transparent nail polish, but with a blue tinge, and it's really tiny- 5ml. You can see the blue tinge here:


Because my tips are more stained than the base of my nails, I did a gradient. I did 4 gradient layers:

The first coat near the tip about 1/4 of the way


The 2nd coat from half the nail down


The third coat from 3/4 coat down


The last coat covering the whole nail


As you can see, my nails are now visibly whiter than when they first started. 



Here's a last photo to show you how significant a blue-tinged base coat can be in giving the illusion of whiter nails: Look at the contrast!



While admittedly such blue-tinged polishes don't really whiten the nail directly, they certainly give the illusion of whiter nails, and are ideal for french manicures or for naked nails. Since most people don't have access to Alessandro, me included, an alternative is Color Club's Milky Base Coat. I read about it from a review here and that's how I have the impression that it is an alternative. I don't guarantee it though, I haven't tried it myself!

There are also alternate ways of whitening your nails as I have heard from frequenting the nail board on MUA:
  • Soaking nails in dentures cleaner
  • Soaking nails in a whitening mouthwash
  • Soaking nails in lemon juice
  • Using one of the commercial whiteners made by the many nail polish brands
Now I don't know if they work, but if you do give it a shot, let me know how it works! So do you have any tips on how you whiten your nails? 

5 comments:

  1. This is a great post thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that base coat really made a difference. I have been wearing acrylic nails for over a year and 1/2 now and am scared of what my real nails will look like once I take them off.
    xx
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take them off and let your nails recover Alicia! Acrylics aren't good for your nails. Just allow a recovery period and you'll have beautiful nails after that! Or try gel nails? I've heard that they're less damaging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've tried Bubble White, that you can buy at Sally Beauty Supply. It works well, but it's a bit pricey. I only use it with really staining polishes that eats through the base coat. I scrub my nails every week (or every time I remove my polish) with baking soda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whitening toothpaste! Works really well.

    ReplyDelete