Monday, December 26, 2011

Merry Christmas from Bethlehem!

This year I spent Christmas eve eve, Christmas eve, and part of Christmas in Bethlehem, which is pretty amazing since that's where it all happened. Unfortunately it's pretty commercialized, the Arabs really do know how to maximize their profit opportunity, but nonetheless I enjoyed myself!

Manger Square, in Bethlehem

These are my Christmas nails from last week, when I was in Istanbul.
This is in front of the Black Sea

This is at the sea, where on the left is Europe, and the right is Asia.


The Santa here is copied from Jen at the Polishaholic's Santa nails, they were really easy to do, after mixing the skin colour for Santa (who looks somewhat Asian now)....



Anyway, it rained on Christmas eve in Bethlehem, which was kind of sad because all activities in Manger Square kind of stopped, and I had planned to go for a carol service, ( I couldn't get tickets for midnight mass), but it turns out you need tickets even though everyone says you don't need one. I went back to the hostel early with my boyfriend and friend, and we just spent the night playing cards, and went to bed early.

I did visit the Church of the Nativity earlier in the day, and if you're interested, this is the spot in the church where Jesus was born.


There were parades down Manger Square for Christmas eve too, these are some of my favourites:



The flag in the middle is the Palestinian flag. 

And in search of stuffed pigeon to eat on Christmas eve for lunch, my friends and I walked all the way to the wall that Israel built around Bethlehem, and saw some incredible grafitti. It's amazing because they convey such simple hopes, and the news never really conveys the Palestinian side of the story.

This is by the famous grafitti artist, Banksy. I didn't get a chance
to check out his other works on other walls around.






Have a very Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment